Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Last Day Home

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Hello Dear Readers,

I keep wanting to talk about my last couple days at home. I think that is and indication of my emotional state: I miss home! I was there for six whole weeks. That is the most I have spent at home since I started college two years ago. 


On my last day at home my parents told me that I could decide what the family would do. I felt the power and the pressure at the same time. It had to be great, of course. But it also had to be stress free. Too much stress could cancel out the epic-ness of the adventure. 

After toying with the idea of seeing a very late showing of the non-Czech dubbing version of Inside Out, I decided on a plan.

We would all get in the car and take a pot off coffee and some mugs. We would drive to a spot in the mountain range surrounding our town, sip our coffee and watch the sunset. Then we would drive home, pick up some beer from the best brewery around and watch our favourite episode of Fawlty Towers. The whole way in the car my mom would finish reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone aloud. 


It was a perfect plan. And we did exactly what we set out to do. Yes, there were some hitches in the plan. For instance Isaac had some disobedient moments involving sitting on a wall. Paul Hugh declared his wish to get out of the car and walk instead of spend time in the car with us. I chose a beer that my dad does not like very much. 

But all in all it was a surprisingly successful time. Especially for my family, who have a hard enough time just getting to the dinner table in the evening. We went to the old reservoir called Ĺ ance, from which we had a splendid view of the mountains and the setting sun. 


Paul Hugh and I joked about an imaginary campaign in which littering is encouraged. He also told us about what he learned about the reservoir in school. Apparently there used to be a town underneath it. They moved everyone out of the town in order to build the dam. There are still train tracks at the bottom of it. 

The evening was perfect. It reminded me of some of the trips around rural Illinois that we took when I was small. Only four more months till I go home again. 

Love,
Lucy Rose

PS

No comments:

Post a Comment