Saturday, September 19, 2020

My Freelance Journey: Instagram


"Lucy Rose, it's just an Instagram post, don't worry so much about it."

I felt foolish for feeling taken aback--even a little stung--at Sheldon's comment. I wanted to say to myself, "Yeah, take a chill pill, Till. This is just social media!" 

But the comment made me pause long enough to examine my reaction and realize why my relationship to Instagram means so much to me.

Back in art high school I had a "friend" who used to make very cruel comments about my cartooning. That person would tell me that my comic-making wasn't REAL art, because it would never fit in the gallery space and "anyone could do it". 

Sheldon's offhand comment brought up my insecurities about whether creating work for social media is "as good" as making artwork for print or for the gallery. 

Unfortunately, those comments stuck with me, even ten years later. (The hurtful ones always stick around, don't they? Ug.) ANYWAY! I found myself reverting back to High School Lucy Rose and thinking, "Oh yeah. This is JUST Instagram. This doesn't count."

It was only when I started to observe my friend Lisa Lobel of @letteringbylisa on Instagram that I realized how it could be an amazing way to build community around creativity, as well as showcase beautiful art. 


The lovely @letteringbylisa Instagram homepage


I saw how Lisa curates an Instagram page full of her own colorful and inspiring work as well how she nurtures a community of fellow lettering-lovers who encourage one another and chat using the comment section. Visiting her account always feels cheery, inviting and inspiring. 



An example of Lisa's stunning work


She helped me see how an artist could use Instagram as an online portfolio and a gathering place. She totally proved my art school "friend" wrong and showed me how Instagram could be a tool for art-making every bit as legitimate and effective as a gallery. I'm so grateful to her for her inspiration and ever since October 2018 I have tried to treat my Instagram account as an important tool in my career.

Lately I use Instagram to:

- Showcase my work

- Keep in touch with other makers and friends

- Make myself available for commissions 

- Share bits of daily life in Stories

I am grateful for the connections and creative outlet that Instagram provides for me. Especially during this season of struggling with mental health and isolation. During that time posting art on Instagram was the only creative output I had energy for. 

Through Instagram I have experienced community despite rarely leaving the house.

It has given me a way to share artwork in a very low-key way, when other sharing platforms have seemed too daunting. 

These are all reasons why Sheldon's comment pricked me a bit. I know he was concerned, because he saw me stress out over a post and he wanted to help! 

But as I looked closely I realized that Instagram means a lot to me. Perhaps too much sometimes, but more on that later...

Love,

L🌹

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you use Instagram to share art and humor. Brightens my day.

    Also, my roommate at Wheaton was an artist and she would agonize over posts on insta--the frame, what they were next to in the grid, the colors. When she takes pictures for her insta, I know I will see them in a year or so :)

    ReplyDelete