Monday, April 11, 2016

Having a Bad Day




When it is too soon to talk about a bad day here on my blog? Is the day after too soon? Or is it always too soon, because no one wants to hear about your crappy day on a blog post. Thankfully, this is my blog, so I get to do whatever the heck I want. And today I want to talk about a bad day. I thought about writing some more about bras and breasts and things, but yesterday's badness has been like the memory of a bad dream lingering over my head. I can't shake it. Writing about something else would seem disingenuous. So here goes!






It all started on the car ride home from church. Rain was spattering the windshield. My stomach was growling. I was ticked off at Sheldon for something relatively trivial, although it may have just been me trying to pick a fight because it seemed like good Fight Weather. When the sun shines and birds are singing you can't argue, because everyone feels so happy, so you save it for a rainy, cold Sunday. 




To make matters worse our car stalled in the middle of a major intersection. We had run out of gas. That was OK, because we were right by a gas station. But it didn't help the mood. By the time we were wandering the aisles of the grocery store, everything seemed bleak. I looked at cakes in the baked goods section and felt no delight, even though I love to look at pretty pastries. Usually grocery shopping with Sheldon is a joy, but somehow it wasn't helping this time. 





I tried a number of methods to turn my day from being bad. But things that usually work like fresh coffee and working out didn't help. To make matters worse we watched a depressing German arthouse film called 12 Stations of the Cross. This minimalist film about a young girl being oppressed by Catholic fundamentalists was not a great choice as the end to a bad day. Yeah...could have been a little smarter there. 





I wish my story had a happy ending. I wish that I had somehow managed to pull myself up by the bootstraps and turn this day around. You know, the American way. But the truth is that as I said goodnight to Sheldon I still felt hopeless. Sometimes you can't fix everything. You can go through some of the steps to make it better, but I think it is OK when it doesn't work. It is OK to be down. Tomorrow is another day. And I guess that could be construed as my "happy ending". I woke up the next morning (today) and things were a lot better. The sun was shining. I had a nice slow breakfast alone--my favourite way to start the day. Sheldon and I had a walk together and talked over things. It was good to have a second chance today. I hope you had a good day too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment