Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Secret to Darkroom Photography



I wrote two blog posts today. The first post I wrote was funny, but inappropriate and weird. You know those jokes you make with friends that you all think are hilarious, but then you try to explain them to someone new, and instead of finding the joke funny you just get a weird look and the person actually thinks you are insane? Well, it was that sort of thing. After I nixed that idea I was like, "Well, gotta put something out there on the inter-webs, otherwise what will the folks do?" I know how you guys rely on me here. I know.

△ 

So I thought I may as well show you what I have been working on in my darkroom photography class. This class is one of my favourites, but it is also one of the hardest. There is a very difficult technical aspect to it, which is tought for someone like me who is big into intuitive things. I am the kind of person who has a great feel for things like languages or ideas or visualisation of a concept, but when it comes to something like You-Must-Do-This-Exactly-Right-Otherwise-You-Will Totally-Blow-It, I am sunk. Darkroom is a lot about keeping things clean, being punctual and precise. All three of those thing are basically my worst things. Yuck. I am untidy, late and I wing everything! 

We handed in this sequence of 7 images for our midterm. They were all meant to be taken in the same  place. I took these in Sheldon's tiny, smelly apartment. The curtain ones were actually taken somewhere else, but I got away with it, cuz it looked cool (you can do that in art sometimes...its great). Several of the prints have specks of dust on them. The third one has a weird splotchy patch. Those are all evidence of my inability to keep clean negatives and figure out how to use all the chemicals. 

Well, I hope you enjoy these photos as a nice break from my usual illustrations. On Thursday I am hoping to write about Three Ways to Feel More Beautiful. Stay tuned!

Love,
LR


































3 comments:

  1. I always thought it would be cool to to learn how to develop film. Now I'm curious about your original post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teehee, I guess I was inviting curiosity with that...I can send it to you on email...

    I bet you could handle darkroom quite well. I think you have the precision for it.

    <3 LR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh!!! You know how much I would love to join in on this. Maybe one day I'll get to learn??

    ReplyDelete