Saturday, October 24, 2020

My Freelance Journey: Flamin' in a Pit


I have started delivering as a side gig to make money to supplement my practically non-existent freelance income. For the first few days it was going pretty well, but last night I had a bad "dash".

First off I messed up an order. That earned me a DoorDash demerit, which may result in my termination. I am still waiting for the tribunal to determine whether I will lose my DoorDash credentials.

Then at White Castle I almost lost my mind trying to figure out the drive-through and a very angry White Castle employee yelled at me, “Hey! Didn’t you see the window? You’re supposed to stop at that window!”


I apologized for making her job harder and managed to drive away before she could see me cry.

Working at White Castle during COVID cannot be an easy job. She was probably dealing with a lot and one clueless lady messing up the system was the last thing she needed.

But harsh words have always had way too much power over me. It feels like a curse not to be able to brush things like that off easily.

Thankfully, the rest of the delivery went fine. 

I was feeling a bit better about things when I ran out of gas. No problem. Super DoorDash Lady is ON it. 

Unfortunately, while pumping gas I accidentally got tangled in the nozzle tube and spilled gas all over myself.


No worries! Super DoorDash Lady keeps paper towels in the car. 

Back on the road, nothing daunted! 

I get to the next house without a hitch, although my whole body and the inside of my car smell like gas.

The nice Texan family pick up their order and smile and wave. I can see them all happily eating dinner through the huge bay window.

I pull out my phone to check for the next order but instead fall into a ditch in the front yard. The family's forks pause halfway to their mouths as they watch in horror.

I tumbled down, down into the pit.


The pit is right next to the road and a low riding truck passes by, hits a pot hole and sends sparks flying into the ditch where lies my huddled gas, soaked form. Unfortunately, my pants burst into flames.

The Texan family can do nothing but watch as I try to claw my way out of the pit while still on fire. 

That is the exact that moment that the woman from White Castle, who has finished her shift, walks by.

"Didn’t you see the sign, you flaming piece of garbage?! You’re supposed to walk around the ditch!”

3 comments:

  1. 😳 How much of this is true? It sounds like a day from hell. I wish I could give you a hug to help make it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bad day. A hug would have been perfect! I also kind of had to laugh at how bad it was.

      True events:
      - I messed up an order and made DoorDash mad
      - I spilled gas on myself
      - I got yelled at by a White Castle lady
      - I did fall into a ditch in front of an entire family watching through their window

      Not True:
      - bursting into flames
      - it was more of a slight trench not really a pit
      - the White Castle lady did not walk by and yell at me again

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete