Monday, January 26, 2015

My Dog Una and the Brothers Karamazov


Dear Friends,

I hope you had a great weekend. I spent mine studying and hanging out with Sheldon and my friend Joanna. 

I just got out of my Modern European Literature class. It meets from 2:00 to 3:05 PM and I consistently have to pee at the same time every day. At 2:55 on the dot I have to pee. The problem is that I love the class so much that I dare not leave for a potty break lest I miss something exciting. 

This week we have started our reading and discussion of The Brothers Karamazov. I love Dostojevskij.  I have never studied him in a class, though, so I am supremely excited to hear our professor's thoughts on the book so far. Although I usually am not a fan of anything that compares women to dogs (What an ugly dog!"), birds ("What an obnoxious gaggle of girls!") or cats ("She's a fox!"), I feel a little bit like my dog Una when she gets excited about being pet or going for a walk. She wags her tail, which makes her whole body shake. I get so excited when I get to listen to new ideas about literature that I have either never thought of before or that confirm thoughts I have already had. But I hope that while I assume some of the excitement of my dog, I do not look that much like her. 

Today we concentrated on getting to know the four main characters: Fyodor, Dmitrij, Ivan and Alexei. As a short reading exercise to begin the study of the four characters we were asked to choose two and write a brief profiles for them in which we assigned them 1) a favourite thinker or philosopher 2) favourite way to spend a weekend and 3)favourite thing from current culture i.e. a book or band or film. I chose Dmitrij and Alexei Karamazov

This was my profile:







No comments:

Post a Comment