Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Doodle #9 - Paper Dolls for a Birthday Party

Today I designed 5 paper dolls for a 5 (soon to be 6!) year-old girl's birthday party. The girl in question is the youngest daughter of some of my family's oldest friends. Her mother (one of my mother's closest friends) asked me to help with the craft project. I was thrilled to comply and set about making paper dolls. The trick is to create a series of diverse girls whose bodies are realistic and attractive but not Barbie-esque. Another trick is to make each one uniquely appealing so that they are not the same but so that there is no one which stands out as the most desirable.  Challenge accepted! I sketched a design for the body and copied it several times just adding different hair, facial features and undergarments. I glued the card stock drawings to two other layers of cardstock to reinforce the paper so that they can withstand the wear and tear inflicted by the hands of eager young artists. I am not finished cutting them out yet. I have not yet created the outfit templates. But I hope to post some pictures of what the girls come up with tomorrow! Good night, Readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment