Thursday, August 21, 2014

Doodle #28 - Tiny Dancer




Dear People,

I love Elton John. "Tiny Dancer" is one of my favourite songs. This evening was my second-to-last ever shift working at my coffee shop. I had trouble enjoying it, because I was so tired and sore from moving day. (I moved out of my rented room and back onto college campus) Even though my two friends helped do most of the heavy lifting, I was still up cleaning and zooming around from early morning onwards. By the time my closing shift came around I was already pretty spent. I needed to energise myself so I drank a lot of coffee and belted some Elton during dishes. 

In "Tiny Dancer" Elton sings:

 "Hold me closer, Tiny Dancer. 
Count the headlights on the highway. 
Lay me down in sheets of linen. 
You've had a busy day today." 

I love that line, because I imagine Elton cradling the Tiny Dancer as they are on the tour bus (they are on a band's tour bus because she is the "seamstress for the band") looking out of the window onto the dark highway. She is worn out and so is he. I don't think that Elton is up to any shenanigans by asking TD to "lay him down in sheets of linen". I think he's just pooped and wants to go to sleep in some comfy sheets. But he wants to know that TD is nearby. 

My favourite scene from The Office is in the first episode from Season Two entitled "The Dundies" when Jim walks a drunken Pam back to her car after her having come close to admitting her feelings for him. A slightly chuffed, sweet Jim shuffles back to his car while this song plays in the background. 

Not only do I find this song poetic, but I also find it hilarious. I like to imagine the Tiny Dancer as really tiny. As in: fits-in-the-palm-of-your-hand tiny. Thumbellina tiny! If that were the case, how would the Tiny Dancer's minuscule arms fit around Elton's normal-sized body? 

I am also glad that it is Elton and not the Tiny Dancer being lain down in the "sheets of linen". What if Elton laid her down in the sheets and she got lost in all that fabric!? Imagine Elton having to shake out the sheets in order to find her and the Dancer flying out and hitting the ceiling. 

Alright guys. This has been ridiculous. I, like Elton, need to "lay me down". But I only have sheets of faded cotton. 

Goodnight.






No comments:

Post a Comment